I made another set of towels/dishcloths. They’re pretty fast and easy so I can see myself making a lot of them. Plus it’s a great way to use up cotton yarn.

image

Yarn: Bernat Handcrafter Cotton and Sugar and Cream. Plus a little bit of recycled cotton tape yarn.
Loom: Vergere (the Bergere loom, named Vergere cause I’m a big nerd)
Dent: my 5.5 dpi reed

image

These are finished with a really simple hem. I just zigzagged the raw edges, folded then over and zigzagged them down, and ran a straight seam across the fold. Easy peasy. I did have some serious tensioning issues though and I had to do a bunch of them more than once.

After hemming, most of these came out shorter than I wanted. Next time I’ll do a longer warp and think beforehand how long I want them to be before just cutting the fabric in half. I’m still very new at weaving, but this is more to do with my impatience as a sewer. (Sewist? I’m certainly not a sewer.) I need to work on that, especially since I want to work on getting better at sewig. Probably not garment making, but certainly garment fixing. I’d like to be able to make a corset.

But that’s neither here nor there. I’ve got a fair amount of cotton odds and ends to make into towels and cotton s generally what I see the most of in thrift store sweaters to unravel. So more towels will be made. The goal is to get away from paper towels when it comes to cleaning up stuff.that isn’t too icky. I’m not cleaning up anyone’s bodily fluids with them, but spilled juice.or whatever is fine. And I’m more likely to use them if I have enough so I do.t have to wash them every day. So I’m saving the environment or whatever. Or possibly just saving money on paper towels and sponges.

Advertisements