You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘costume’ tag.

With a little over a week til Halloween and two days until the first of a series of Halloween parties for which I am expected to dress up, I have been knitting almost non-stop. Of the five balls of Northampton I bought to work my red capelet, I have full worked two and am halfway through the third. I’ve finished the shoulder shaping and started the hood, so things are moving right along. Here’s where I’m at right now:

Photobucket

So I just have the hood left, plus weaving in ends (just the one from finishing though, since I weave in cast on tails as I go) and blocking (which the thing seriously needs–the bottom edge curls up like nobody’s business.

I have also finished the underbust corset I’ll be wearing and have the rest of the components of the costume. I’ve decided to go with either black pumps or boots (depending on my mood), but I can’t wait to put it all together and photograph it for you to see. It’s gonna be bitchin’.

My school apparently thinks Halloween is Friday, so I got to dress up twice, plus the Halloween party that I went to last week. Unfortunately, I only had one costume and it was difficult enough to come up with that idea to begin with. Somewhat unoriginally, I was a bat. While this sounds like the usual slutty girl costume, I assure you, it was not. And it had some pretty sweet diy elements. Check it out:

Photobucket
(imagine me wearing black pants and a black long sleeved shirt.)

Much of the costume was just me wearing black, which is pretty easy since I wear a lot of dark colors. The ears I crocheted from crochet cotton that I bought at a thrift store over the summer. I just crocheted triangles and then sewed them to a crocheted band. Easy peasy.

Photobucket

The wings were much more difficult. I got the idea from Craftster user EmilyinOrbit, who posted the wings she made here. Using some wire hangers, dollar store pantyhose, packing tape, and a whole lot of elbow grease (plus some crochet cords to keep the damn things on my back), I came up with these:

Photobucket

They’re not perfect, obviously, but they are awesome. One of the wings flaps a bit due to the way I affixed the hangers to each other and they’re quite crooked now after three days of use. I managed to get a mostly seamless outside edge, which I’m super proud of. I used three hangers and two pairs of pantyhose. The hangers, tape, and yarn I had on hand, so the total cost for my Halloween costume was $2.

I am, of course, planning ahead for next year, when I plan to be Little Red Riding Hood (again, not slutty). The sole reason for this costume decision? I want a cape. I want to knit an awesome cape (of course, I’ll wear it other times, like during winter. : ) I found this pattern on Ravelry, which will be the one I use. There will be some math to size it up, but seeing as I almost always get 5 sts to the inch in worsted weight yarn, I don’t have to swatch. Nyah nyah. Anyway, yes. I will be Red Riding Hood next year so I have an excuse to wear a cape (not that I need an excuse… And I may make another in a different color). I would have done it this year if I’d thought of it with enough advance notice to actually knit the damn thing. Plus I don’t have the right dress. Next year, though. Next year will be awesome.

And as for knitting: I finished the sweater vest, which you will see soon. I also started a new project that is HELLA AWESOME, and that will be coming soon as well. Stay tuned!