You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘color work’ tag.

Part two of my vacation knitting! These are also for AnnaMarie.


(The oh-so-willing model is my brother, whom I roped in to helping me with pictures)

Pattern: Endpaper Mitts
Yarn: Cephalopod Skinny Bugga in Punchinello Butterfly and Bronze Moth
Needles: US 2s or 3s; I can’t remember
Mods: None, knit as written

Y’all, this pattern gave me fits. I have made it before with great success (until I accidentally felted them in the washing machine), but this time… I don’t even know. I made a total of three mitts, each completely finished and ends woven in, and I almost made a fourth. The first one came out fine. A little snug but fine. The second one had an extra repeat before the thumb that I some how failed to notice. The third came out way too big, though strangely in line with the second minus the extra repeat. Apparently after I finished knitting the first mitt, my knitting loosened WAY UP. Like WAY UP. At the point I finished the third mitt, I was COMPLETELY OVER THEM and wanted to knit ANYTHING ELSE, but I figured if Anna-Marie wanted me to redo them or one of them, I would. Fortunately, she said it was fine, which is good because there might have been bloodshed at that point.

You can’t really tell the size difference when the mitts are on. You can kind of see it in the above picture, but I stretched the smaller one a bit to make them appear to be the same size in the pictures. But they are definitely different sizes. I had wanted to knit some colorwork mittens, but this experience is giving me pause. Not a tremendous amount of pause, mind, since you know I tend to just jump right in to craft things. But still, pause.

When I was knitting these, I kept thinking the colors reminded me of ketchup and mustard. Neither of which I eat, but the colors are distinct. The pattern is pretty subtle, but still nice.

I have one more FO to show off and by the time I get there on the blog (since I delay the posts when I have a bunch of things to show off at once), I’ll probably have finished a sweater (worsted weight; started a sleeve yesterday) or seventeen sharks (okay, I only have three open orders, but still). Oh, I also have a weaving thing I need to finish up and maybe post about. So I guess it’ll be two more FOs (well, one is still a WIP but the weaving is all done). And then maybe I’ll try to get back on a regular posting schedule.

Advertisements

It’s still hot! I’m going to the Outerbanks with my boyfriend and his family this week! So posting will be limited from tomorrow through next Saturday or Sunday (plus I don’t know how much knitting I’ll be doing on the beach). Anyway, I made this hat. Because if you suck at colorwork, you should TOTALLY ADD CABLES to the mix.

Photobucket

Pattern: Colorful Cables Hat, from Stitch N Bitch Superstar Knitting
Yarn: Columbia-Minerva worsted wool and some red recycled merino
Needles: US 5 KP Options circ
Mods: None. I was thisclose to cutting out a pattern repeat but the decreases are short and I didn’t have to.

Photobucket

So despite the difficulty that knitting this hat was (I am not very experienced with colorwork), I’m super proud of it and it looks awesome. Yay. Can’t wait for cooler weather so I can wear it and not die of heat stroke.

Here is the obligatory inside-out photo so you can see my lovely floats:

Photobucket

Anyway, I’m off to the beach for the week! Be good while I’m gone!

Take two of this hat pattern!

Photobucket

Pattern: My own! Will be up here and on Rav in a couple of days. Cause everyone loves free hat patterns.
Yarn: Cascade Eco Wool that I’ve been using for EVERYTHING and also some handdyed reclaimed sweater wool
Needles: US 8/5mm dpns and bamboo circ.

Photobucket

So it came out a little large, but I, at least, am pleased with that because that means it covers more of my head in the dead of winter when it’s actually snowing (so like… late January) or even if it’s just slightly chilly. Also, I seriously love this color I dyed. I used tie-dye over last winter to get this lovely mottled pink-purple. Yay! I only had a little bit, and it turned out perfect for the color work. Yay color work!

Anyway, to get some practice with pattern writing (and because I thought someone might like to make it), I’m writing up the pattern. It has a colorwork chart. It’ll probably be up here in the next couple of days as it’s finished, I just have to flip the chart upside down. And I’m LAZY. Or, actually, we’ll say busy cause it’s almost finals week and I should be studying. Yes. BUSY. Heh.