You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘bags’ tag.

Here at chez StitchBrinnStitch, it’s all FOs all the time. I’ve got another one today: woven project bags.

I started with this and dyed yarn, colorway Kara Thrace and her Special Destiny (a Battlestar Galactica reference) plus some recycled Shetland, held triple:

I wove it up into some fabric:

 photo 005-2_zpsfbc1919f.jpg

And sewed the fabric into bags:

 photo 006-4_zpsd9856c1a.jpg

Weaving deets:
Loom: Vergere
Reed: 5.5 dpi
Yarn: my hand dyed and tripled recycled Shetland
Pattern: plain tabby weave

I really like making these bags. They are an excellent use of hand woven fabric and weaving is an excellent use of hand dyed yarn. The goal is to make a bunch and sell them. Actually this time. I have some more fabric to sew up and god knows I have more yarn to weave.

The lining on these particular bags matches really well thanks to all the yellow and is from a fitted cotton sheet I got at the thrift store. The yarn is all recycled too, which makes these super green, eco friendly bags. I think I will advertise them as such.

 photo 009-1_zps4ac4e2eb.jpg

These bags are also the first things I finished for the Stash Dash craftalong over with The Knit Girllls. I finished them basically on the start date, but I’ve been so behind on blogging my finished objects, I’m just now showing them off. My Stash Dash page is here if you want to keep track of my progress toward 4k.

Advertisements

So, does anyone remember when I made this tote?

Photobucket

I made it out of a t-shirt and some canvas fabric like, two years ago, and listed it on my Artfire shop. Well, it sold yesterday! I didn’t even know Artfire listings stayed up that long, but apparently they do. Whoo! I take any excuse to make cute cards, so I’m including this in the package:

Photobucket

In other news, I did some sewing the other day. I needed another project bag because while I am mostly project monogamous, sometimes I have a couple, so I needed something to store the one I’m not currently knitting.

Photobucket

The outside is part of a dinosaur sheet I bought at the thrift store, and the lining is part of a pillow sham. I’m a big fan.

Photobucket

It’s currently holding the beginning of a sleeve (of the grey/pink striped pullover). I’m not done with the body yet (I just finished the waist decreases and will start the bust increases shortly), but the long rounds were a little boring, so I started the sleeve:

Photobucket

The sweater will probably take another couple of weeks (possibly less), especially since I have swap stuff too. : )

So, yes. OWS. I claimed Spotnik for a totebag and slippers for her husband. And they’re AWESOME. Cause I’m good like that.

Photobucket

Pattern: Garter/Rib Slippers
Yarn: Bernat Alpaca Blends
Needles: US 8/5 mm
Mods: None? Made them bigger, I guess.

They are way too big on me and too big on my shoe size 8.5 boyfriend (who’s modeling), but that’s that’s to be expected seeing as the recipient’s feet are size 10.5. I think they came out well. They’re super fast and easy to make, and they look pretty good too. On feet, that is. They look very silly when they’re not on feet:

Photobucket

Yeah. Anyway, I also made a TOTALLY KICK ASS totebag:

Photobucket

Check out that hot hot reverse applique action:

Photobucket

The brown and blue fabrics are canvas I found at the thrift store for uber cheap, and the lining is an old sheet. I am running low on old sheet, so when I am home for the summer, I’ll have to get another one at the thrift store. Sheets really are perfect for lining stuff.

So I had a couple of hours earlier this week that weren’t taken up by class or making up for a month of lost time with my friends and boyfriend. Instead of doing homework like I probably should have been doing, I spent some quality time with Leah, the Brother sewing machine I got for my birthday in December.

Photobucket

I have a minor obsession with zipper clutch-type bags, so that is what I made. First was a bag I had cut out the for months ago but had not assembled:

Photobucket

The fabric is cheapo fabric from Walmart that was originally a skirt I was going to make for myself (I had the panals cut out for literally six years). I decided that even if I were to make the skirt, it wouldn’t fit. So… I cut apart the panels and used them for other things. The lining is the same retired bedsheet that I use to line pretty much everything.

Photobucket

I also wanted to do a more decorative bag, so I pulled out a cotton fat quarter and my trusty lining sheet as well as some ribbon and buttons and got this:

Photobucket

I love the ribbon detail. I sewed it on first with the decorative stitch and managed to sew it on HELLA CROOKED. So I trimmed to try and even it out, but you can still see there’s a definite slant. Still pretty though.

Photobucket

I’m amazed how even the top and bottom straight stitches are. I also love the buttons, which I sewed on using the button foot of the machine (a feature that I LOVE):

Photobucket

Super cute. The first blue bag currently houses my sewing machine notions (spare feet and needles, pins, etc). The other is prettier, so I may end up using it for a clutch purse of some sort. In any case, I will definitely be making more of these, though I think I might have to get some more zippers.

Come up on blog: That sock. (I finally got more yarn and started the damn thing). Also, I’m in for another round of the Ongoing Wish Swap, so that’s happening. Also, progress on Girl Friday. I finished the back and fronts and will begin the sleeves once the sock and the OWS thing is done. Whoo.