You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘stash burning’ tag.

Photobucket

Pattern: Esme by Amy Pickard
Yarn: Cascade Eco Wool in coffee, left over from owls.
Needles: US 10/6 mm, which I did not realize until just this moment is a needle size UP from the pattern rather than DOWN, as I originally thought. Fail.
Modifications: Tightened the brim a bit, probably lengthened the bit before the decreases. Mostly, I knit as is.

Photobucket

I think this hat came out quite nice. Despite my fuck-up with gauge, the hat fits and (provided I arrange my hair just right) actually looks kind of cute on me. I like it, and I will actually wear it out as the temperature drops but isn’t quite fuck-appearances-I-just-want-warm-ears cold. It’s a fall hat. Lovely. AND I used up one of the two balls of Cascade Eco I had left over from owls. I have another large one, and I’m not sure what I’ll do with that (felted slippers, maybe). But stash busting is always good in my book, especially when it results in hats. : )

Coming up: A sewing thing. Probably some knitting things (I just started a vest) and maybe another (better) surprise later along the way. Stay tuned!

Photobucket

Pattern: Srsly, it’s a toe-up sock with a short row heel. And some increases to fit my calves.
Yarn: Lion Wool in Cadet Blue (bout a quarter of a skein) and Ocean Blues (two FULL skeins)
Needles: US 6/4 mm dpns

Photobucket

So I wanted socks to wear in my rain boots to keep my toes warm in the snow. These definitely fit the bill. They come up to my knees (actually, a bit over) and are super warm. Because they are wool, my feet will still be able to breathe, but even if snow gets into my shoe, my feet will stay (mostly) warm and dry. Win.

Photobucket

And as for the yarn: The variegated has been marinating in my stash almost since I started knitting–I bought it on sale at Micheal’s before I knew I didn’t like variegated yarn and I hadn’t been able to find a use for it. When I decided to make the socks, I knew I didn’t want to have ANY left, so I knit until I had just enough yarn left for the cast off. This resulted in a left over length of yarn (after weaving in) of about a foot on one sock and about two inches on the other sock. WIN.

The blue in the heel and the toe I was a little more worried about. I knew I wanted contrasting heels and toes (because I really love that look) and I only had about a quarter of a skein. I thought it was going to be close and I would run out on the second toe. Fortunately, I had plenty and I even have a couple of yards left. Not sure what I’ll do with them though—Maybe I’ll make a scrap hat one of these days. OH, or, I have some purple that would look lovely in a hat with a blue stripe. : )

In other knitting news: I started (and finished, actually, except for blocking) a hat from some left over Cascade Eco. Featherweight, as I said, is on the back burner and in the mean time, I’ve been working up small projects to burn through some stash. I’ve recently decided that I can’t buy more yarn until everything (or at least, all my good non-acrylic) yarn fits in the bin I have at school. This includes a whole skein of Cascade Eco, four balls of Valley Northampton, and most of a cone of Jaggerspun lace weight. We’ll see how that goes. At the very least, I’ll have lots of hats and mittens and things.