You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘colorwork’ tag.

As I mentioned the other day, I am currently working on the hat that matches the Kitty Hawk mitts I recently finished. I’m using the same yarn (Bugga!). The hat has a really interesting construction technique: You knit the hat band (in the round like a stockinette scarf knit in the round) then pick up stitches for a front panel, back panel, and side arch panels, finally seaming the panels together to form the crown of the hat. I think it’s turning out super cute so far:

Photobucket

That’s the back of the band and the back panel (about 1.5 repeats of five done). I have to do some creative stitching to clean up the back seam (the directions should direct you to graft it but it doesn’t), but other than that, I think it looks nice. Here’s what the front looks like:

Photobucket

It curled something awful when I was done knitting the band, but HOLY GOD STEAM BLOCKING IS AMAZING. I’m pretty sure I’ve extolled the virtues of steam blocking before, but let me just say again: AMAZING. You lay out your knitting, hold a hot iron over it, push the steam button and push everything into place. And then it is DONE and it is BLOCKED. No waiting forever for it to dry. No pinning. No desperate squeezing to get excess water. Steam and DONE.

Amazing.

Sorry for the radio silence, people. I totally thought I scheduled this post for the first and apparently accidentally wrote the tenth. So… here’s the post. Also, I hope you’ll forgive me for not doing a 2009 wrap up post. I’m not really into wrap ups. Anyway, here’s some mitts:

Photobucket

Pattern: Endpaper Mitts, by Eunny Jang
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette in some shade of purple (lost the ballband) and “Fog”
Needles: US 1/2.25 mm and US 3/3.25 mm
Mods: Went up a needle size for the ribbing because I didn’t have any 0’s, and it’s a good thing I did since the cuff came out a bit snug anyway.

Photobucket

So… I fail at reading directions and managed to fuck up the thumb gusset on the first one of these , but I think they came out well regardless. I managed to not completely screw up the colorwork and my floats are loose enough that I can actually get the damn things onto my wrists. And they’re pretty. : ) Though, I have to say, I meant to make the medium (and use a US 2 needle) but for some reason read “3 mm” as “US 3” so I ended up using 3.25 mm needles, though I doubt that really made a huge difference.

Photobucket

Still, like I said, I like how they came out. : ) Very toasty and very comfortable.