Photobucket

Pattern: French Press Felted Slippers, available for purchase on Ravelry.
Yarn: Ella Rae Classic, about a skein and a half.
Needles: US 15/10 mm Knit Picks Options
Mods: I think I knit them as written?

Photobucket

So… this was really my first experience with felting, though that’s not even the problem with these. The first one came out the proper size from the washing machine. It needed to be felted a little more, which I did by hand, but it wasn’t difficult. I had to cut a triangle out of the toe to make it smaller and fit better, but it came out alright.

The other one… hoo boy, let me tell you about the other one. First, I wasn’t paying attention when I was knitting it, so all of the pieces came out too big. Then it didn’t felt as much as the other one in the washer/dryer, so I had to felt it by hand more. THEN, even when I felted it as much as I could, it was still too big, so I had to Frankenstein it and chop the slipper in half and resew it back together smaller:

Photobucket
(It’s deceptively well-hidden. Felt is pretty forgiving.)

Yeah. AND THEN they still didn’t work right, so I had to sew a Frankenstein seam in the heel. AND THEN I had the hardest time getting the strap straight. And when I finally got the strap straight and the button on, I realized I SEWED THE STRAP ON BACKWARDS. Rip out, redo. And when I finally get the whole thing put together, Frankenstein seams and everything, it looks like this:

Photobucket

It’s functional but ridiculous. I guess I’ve never really had an epic knitting fail or a too-big sweater or whatever, so it’s about time. I’ll definitely be making this pattern again, but I’ll be paying closer attention to the row counts so they come out a proper size.

Advertisements