I thought I would try my hand at a triangle scarf to practice knitting lace, and also because I wanted a triangle scarf. After much pondering on what scarf I would knit, I decided on the Blue Jeans Leaf Lace Shawl, which is written for lace-weight. Being impatient and having much worsted weight wool, I sized it up:

(Ignore the fact that I’m wearing a tank-top and that looks rather incongruous. It’s like eighty degrees outside. I can’t help when I have the urge to knit scarves.)


Pattern: Blue Jeans Leaf Lace Shawl
Yarn: Lion Wool in Dark Teal; about 1.3 skeins.
Needles: US 10/6mm straights
Modifications: Upped the yarn and needle size; only did eleven repeats of the pattern.


It’s amazing what blocking will do for lace. When I was knitting this, it was coming out all bumpy and pulled in everywhere and I was certain that blocking could only help so much. But this came out exactly how I wanted it to, if a little bit short. It is definitely still wearable though, and I think I will get a lot of use out of it come fall/winter. As it is, the Lion Wool is a little scratchy, but I think a dunk in some warm water and a little soap or conditioner will do well. Surprisingly, though I wet-blocked this, I didn’t get any dye leakage at all. That was a pleasant surprise.

Photobucket Photobucket

I think I may do another in some sort of cotton blend for spring wear. I would make it longer though, so it wraps around properly.

Currently on the needles, now that this is finished? Well, I still have various swap things going on, though much of that has to wait until I’m home for summer break, and I’ve just started (though rather oppositional to the lovely weather we’ve been having) Lauren Chau’s Button Me Up Raglan (the pattern came in a calendar) in Ella Rae Classic (red) and Lion Wool (blue). It’s my Superman Sweater! Here’s what I have so far:


My gauge is certainly a bit off (though I didn’t check) but as I measure things based on length and inches and where the decreases will fall on me instead of rows, I think I will be okay. Not sure if I will have enough yarn for this though. I have 3.5 balls of Ella Rae. Hopefully that will be enough, and if not, I’ll just make the sleeves shorter or add more blue, which I have two balls of. We shall see.